So for Labyrinth of Love, which is the third book in a series, I wanted to run some ads during release but not obsess about them. Here's a breakdown of what I did for the first 5 days, along with the rough sales each day (NOTE: these are only Amazon sales, as these were the easiest to track on a daily basis. Barnes & Noble sales appear at the end, but there's a delay in reporting those, so the numbers are probably not entirely accurate. Kobo and Apple sales are not included, as they haven't been reported yet.) I also don't break down the number of books sold by title each day, but 95% were of Labyrinth of Love, and the other 5% made up from sales of Beacon of Love and Inferno of Love (the other 2 books in this series), and Cocktail Cruises, which is still selling steadily thanks to the prequel which appears in Passionate Kisses 2: Love in Bloom.
Anyway, I hope this information will help some of you as you plan your own ad campaigns!
Release Day for Labyrinth of Love: May 5, 2015
Release Price: $0.99
Pre-orders sold: 24
May 5 Ads:
- Fussy Librarian ($17)
- Books Machine ($20)
- Choosy Bookworm ($20)
- Facebook Post boosted for 5 days ($15)
May 6 Ads:
- E-reader News Today ($40)
- Awesome Gang ($10)
May 7 Ads:
- My newsletter sent out to 1300 subscribers ($0) (NOTE: I also offered Beacon of Love, Book #1, FREE to newsletter subscribers, resulting in approximately 80 downloads of that title. Hoping those will lead to sales of the next 2 books in the series!
- Participated in The Romance Studio release party ($0)
- BookBasset Featured Author Post ($22)
May 8 Ads:
- Bargain Booksy ($50)
May 9 Ads:
- Kindle Books & Tips New Release ($50)
*I didn't run any formal ads after the 9th. Here are the sales for the next 5 days:
May 10: 10
May 11: 3
May 12: 8
May 13: 7
Total Spent on Ads: $244.00
Total Sales of Labyrinth of Love to date: 150**
Total Sales of Beacon of Love (Book #1) to date: 7
Total Sales of Inferno of Love (Book #2) to date:6
Amazon ranking: Varied from around 88,000 on May 5 to 4,000 on May 8, its best day (I was happy with this. It's been a while since I've had a book at that rank). It's currently around the 30,000 - 40,000 mark.
**Additional sales of Labyrinth of Love on Barnes & Noble: 31
Conclusions? E-reader News Today and Bargain Booksy seemed to result in the most sales. I would definitely book them again. I was a little surprised at the results of Kindle Books & Tips, as I've used them before with greater sales. I probably wouldn't use Awesome Gang or BookBasset again. My own newsletter? Absolutely, as it costs me nothing (I use MailChimp, which is free up to 2000 subscribers). Blogging and posting on Facebook has minimal impact but also costs very little, so I'll probably stick with those as well. Did I wish for more sales? Of course. But as many experienced authors remind me, building a writing career is a marathon, not a sprint. Put out more titles on a regular basis, especially in series, and you should slowly but surely gain readers. So now I'm off to write my next book!